Saturday, June 16, 2012

Lavender & Vanilla Marshmallows


Lavender & Vanilla Marshmallows

I’ve been waiting for this day for weeks – My lavender plants are ready!!! I am absolutely obsessed with lavender… the soft, pale grey-purple blooms are just stunning, and I don’t think a better smell exists anywhere on the planet. In the summer, I don’t even wear perfume; I just stick my wrists in the lavender bush and thrash them around!



Lately I’ve gotten really into adding lavender to different types of foods, from baked goods to cocktails, and I’ve been so excited with the results. This morning I wanted to try something a little different, and since my fresh little lavender buds are so new and delicate I thought I would go for something really light and soft… Marshmallows, anyone??



I love making my own marshmallows. They are so much better than the store-bought kind and have a much more airy and ethereal quality about them. I think this makes them a perfect vehicle for lavender and vanilla, which are two of my most favorite light and soft flavors. These delightful little candy pillows turned out so beautiful and fluffy, and they were pretty easy to make. I think they would make gorgeous little wedding favors, party treats, or gifts!

Step One: Prepare the lavender water

Ingredients:
-       2 cups water
-       2 tbsp lavender (fresh or dried)
Directions:
-       Combine the water and lavender in a small pot and bring to a boil. Boil for a minute, then remove from the heat
-        Cover with a lid and let steep for about 30 minutes

Step Two: Prepare your pan

Directions:
-       Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with tin foil
-       Spray well with non-stick baking spray

Step Three: Start gellin’ the gelatin

Ingredients:
-       1 cup lavender water
-       ¼ cup gelatin

Directions:
-       Once the lavender water has steeped, pour one cup of it into the bowl of a stand mixer outfitted with a whisk attachment (keep the rest of the lavender water for the next step!)
-       Add ¼ cup gelatin and stir to combine
-       Set aside

Step Four: Make the syrup

Ingredients:
-       3 cups sugar
-       1 1/3 cups corn syrup
-       2/3 cup lavender water
-       2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
-       Combine the sugar, corn syrup, lavender water, and vanilla in a large pot – stir to combine
-       Bring the mixture to a boil, and cook without stirring for 5-6 minutes, or until soft-ball stage (115°C/240°F) on a candy thermometer

Step Five: Whip it all up

Directions:
-       Turn the mixer with the gelatin mixture in it to high speed
-       While it is running, gradually add the hot syrup to the gelatin mixture
-       Beat for 10 minutes, until thick and fluffy
-       Add a few drops of red and blue food colouring (optional) to achieve desired color
-       Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate for at least 5 hours, or overnight

Step Six: Flip it, Cut it, Dust it, Eat it!

Ingredients:
-       1/3 cup confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
-       1/3 cup cornstarch

Directions:
-       Place the icing sugar and cornstarch in a bowl and stir to combine
-       Turn the marshmallow onto a surface generously dusted with the icing sugar mixture and carefully remove the tinfoil
-       Cut into squares – to make cutting easier, dip the knife in hot water and wipe dry between each incision
-       Dust the marshmallows with the remaining icing sugar mixture and store in an airtight container



14 comments:

  1. Hi dear, I'd love to follow each other's!
    I'm following u, I hope u'll do the same!
    Kiss

    New post
    http://tati-loves-pearls.blogspot.it/2012/06/aladins-pants.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, do you use a certain type of lavender?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I believe that the lavender I grow is french lavender, but I'm not 100% sure. All types of lavender are edible, some just have a more astringent quality... so as long as it tastes good to you, you're set!

      Jen

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, these look super yummy! Lavender marshmallows sound soooooo good :D And of course I'd love for us to follow each other like you suggested, I'm the new face on your GFC! See you on mine soon, can't wait to see more recipes like this :)

    www.iwastakenbysurprise.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. great blog, amazing tutorials.
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice recipe :) Can't wait to try it! and you just got a new follower :)
    Btw, i'm wondering how to add a 'reply' link like yours? :)
    Thank you. Keep blogging!!

    xo,
    Tassya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a new follower as well! I actually have no idea how the "reply" link got there.. I think it was just automatic! Maybe check under "Settings" > "Comments" and see if you can find some way to turn that feature on.

      Jen

      Delete
  6. You've got such a lovely blog! I adore lavender as well, and I sometimes put some in my closet to freshen up my clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my! I've always wanted to try and make marshmallows! These so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to make my own marshmallows sometimes, too, and I had been wanting to make some lavender flavored ones. I like the idea of making a lavender water - thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)