Saturday, June 9, 2012

Glittery Mason Jars


It is a very dreary day today; so rainy Saturday crafting is the only important thing on my agenda. I just stocked up on a ton of mason jars in preparation for canning season, so today’s craft is going to make use of these lovely things. Mason jars are just so simple and rustic, and something about the shape of them is so appealing! This DIY transforms them into something really special.


I am so thrilled about how these Glittery Mason Jars turned out!  When I first had the idea, I really wasn’t sure whether they would work or not, but they were SO easy and are actually very pretty. They’d look beautiful on their own, or with flowers in them, but the real glory of these little jars comes out when you stick a candle inside! The flame sends gorgeous, dancing patterns of light all around the room and the jars glow really warmly. I can imagine these as aisle or centerpiece decorations at a wedding… or just softly flickering on my coffee table bringing a little warm, glittery happiness to a drizzly day!



Materials:
-       Mason Jars
-       Loose glitter (I used silver)
-       White school glue, spray adhesive, or spray enamel (I used this)
-       Ribbon (optional)

Directions:
1.   Clean and dry you jar
2.   Apply your sticky stuff to the inside of the jar – the easiest way is to just spray an adhesive or clear gloss/enamel straight into the jar. If you want more control (i.e., to make patterns or only cover half of the jar) then paint a solution of one part water, one part white glue onto the inside of the jar with a paintbrush – a very thin coat is best
3.   Pour the glitter into the jar and shake it around to cover all areas
4.   Tie a decorative ribbon to the neck of the jar and drop a candle in!



***NOTE: I don’t recommend using real-flame candles inside these jars, as I have no idea what the heat will do to the glitter or the adhesive with prolonged burning. Pick up some battery-powered tea lights instead, and enjoy your glittery mason jar worry-free!

13 comments:

  1. They look fantastic, Look awesome for a night party. great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. *love* mason jars and this diy not only looks easy, but is super cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment so I could make my way back to you. Following along and so glad to have found your creative spot on the web:)

    Chandra
    astylishlittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea! I will likely try it out this summer :)

    xo
    - J
    http://www.jessglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son and I like to do this with glow in the dark stuff. Painting mason jars is a huge past time around my house. I absolutely love these! They are so adorable!

    -Lacie Rose
    http://lacierose-rainbowsandsunshine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute idea Jen! I definitely want to give this a try....I just need to find mason jars.

    Sending sunshine your way,

    jin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty idea!! I love mason jars too...and craft days :) Great blog, I'm following you as well now. Thanks for your SO sweet comment on my blog!

    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and love it! i cannot wait to read your next post!
    -we just followed you and would appreciate it if you could do the same to us! this is a great DIY and i'm definitely gonna try it one day!


    xoxo
    http://thegreenraybans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is perfect! I'm not very crafty so I'm always on the lookout for simple crafts and this one is exactly what I need. I'm saving it for Christmas! Thanks, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by our blog - LOVE these mason jars! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so neat! I'll definitely try this now! Thanks for following, I followed back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, these look so pretty, sounds pretty simple as well! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. made them up and using them for my wedding! they are amazing! and so easy to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)