I love corn dogs... Crispy cornmeal batter hugging a big, juicy hotdog on a stick. YUM. I really could eat them every day, but since they pack about a million calories each, and are full of stuff I really shouldn’t be sticking in my body on a regular basis, I’ve had to label corn dogs a “sometimes food”.
BUT THEN I CAME UP WITH THIS RECIPE! These are my version of a healthy corn dog! You still get all the good stuff, but in a mini, baked-not-fried version that won’t ruin your waistline. These are perfect for appetizers, snacks for kids, and soup accompaniers. Serve with ketchup and mustard for dipping!
RECIPE: Mini Baked Corn Dogs
(makes about 24)
· ¾ cup (175 ml) cornmeal
· 1 ¼ cups (300 ml) skim milk
· 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
· 1/3 cup (75 ml) granulated sugar
· 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
· ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
· 1 egg
· ¼ cup (58 ml) vegetable oil
· Hotdogs, cut up
· Combine cornmeal and milk. Let stand 10 minutes.
· Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
· Add egg and oil to cornmeal mixture and mix well.
· Add cornmeal mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined (don’t over mix).
· Fill greased mini-muffin cups 2/3 full and press a hotdog piece into the center of each muffin (not quite to the bottom, you want at least a centimeter of cornmeal mixture between the dog and the bottom of the pan)
· Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 10-15 minutes, or until the muffins turn a lovely golden brown colour
· Serve hot, with ketchup and mustard for dipping!