Baked Mini Corn Dogs


I love corn dogs... Crispy cornmeal batter hugging a big, juicy hotdog on a stick. YUM. I really could eat them every day, but since they pack about a million calories each, and are full of stuff I really shouldn’t be sticking in my body on a regular basis, I’ve had to label corn dogs a “sometimes food”.

BUT THEN I CAME UP WITH THIS RECIPE! These are my version of a healthy corn dog! You still get all the good stuff, but in a mini, baked-not-fried version that won’t ruin your waistline. These are perfect for appetizers, snacks for kids, and soup accompaniers. Serve with ketchup and mustard for dipping!





RECIPE: Mini Baked Corn Dogs
(makes about 24)

Ingredients:
·      ¾ cup (175 ml) cornmeal
·      1 ¼ cups (300 ml) skim milk
·      1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
·      1/3 cup (75 ml) granulated sugar
·      1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
·      ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
·      1 egg
·      ¼ cup (58 ml) vegetable oil
·      Hotdogs, cut up

Directions:
·      Combine cornmeal and milk. Let stand 10 minutes.
·      Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
·      Add egg and oil to cornmeal mixture and mix well.
·      Add cornmeal mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined (don’t over mix).
·      Fill greased mini-muffin cups 2/3 full and press a hotdog piece into the center of each muffin (not quite to the bottom, you want at least a centimeter of cornmeal mixture between the dog and the bottom of the pan)
·      Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 10-15 minutes, or until the muffins turn a lovely golden brown colour
·      Serve hot, with ketchup and mustard for dipping!


Enjoy!! xox








Comments

  1. I saw this recipe on pinterest and thought about trying it. Now that I know someone has tried it, I will definitely be trying these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a cute idea! They look delicious! What kind of hotdogs do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Schneider's Country Naturals for this one because they don't have a bunch of preservatives, but I think anything will work :)

      Delete
  3. These look delicious! IS there a way to pack them up so you can grab for them whenever you're craving for a midnight snack?

    I followed you by the way, care to follow back?


    -A Hint of Sunlight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could freeze them and just stick them in the oven for a bit to warm/crisp them up!

      Delete
  4. Great post dear<3
    come by and lets fllw each other if you love to do:))
    miss-monaaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's follow each other for sure!

      Delete
  5. it looks really yummy! thanks for sharing
    btw maybe u mind to fllw each other?let me know
    jessillesilv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious! Definitely going to have to try this out! Thanks for sharing! By the way, would you know a certain alternative for corn meal? :)

    Much love, Stella x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. I don't know for sure, but you might be able to experiment with ground quinoa, grits, or polenta! If you do, let me know how it goes!!

      Jen

      Delete
  7. wow! it looks delicious! your blog is so amazing! especially i like your diys!!
    following u!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look amazing! Followed you, follow us back? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)

Popular Posts