Saturday, August 4, 2012

Hazelnut and Carob Gelato


It’s been so long since my last blog post, but I have a very good reason: I’m in the process of moving into my new (first!) house, in my new city! Eeeek! Once I’m all settled I’ll get back to more frequent posting (I have tons of exciting things to share), but for now here is a recipe to tide you over ;)



I am allergic to caffeine (I know.. It’s seriously tragic) so I use a lot of carob when I’m looking for a chocolate fix. If you’ve never heard of carob, here’s a mini lesson for you: It comes from a tree in the pea family and can be used as a really decent substitute for chocolate – it comes in powder, chip, and syrup form and can be found at the bulk food or health food store. I absolutely love this stuff because, when it’s used right, it can taste almost exactly the same as chocolate!

This gelato recipe is sooooo good! It is smooth, rich, silky, and tastes just like that wonderful “Nutella” spread... The perfect treat for a hot summer day!

ingredients:
1-1/2 cups toasted hazelnuts
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsps sugar
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1 tbsp butter

3 tbsp carob powder
5 large egg yolks
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
directions:
1. Rub the toasted hazelnuts in a kitchen towel after roasting to remove as much of the papery skin as possible. Discard the skins. Chop the hazelnuts in a food processor or blender until finely chopped.
2. Warm the milk with 1 cup of the cream, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Once warm, remove from heat and add the chopped toasted hazelnuts. Cover and let steep for 1-1/2 hours.
3. Melt the butter in a large pot and add the carob powder. Whisk well to combine. Add the remaining 1 cup of cream and bring to a boil, whisking to remove clumps of carob powder.
4. Pour the hazelnut-infused milk through a strainer into a medium saucepan. Squeeze the nuts with your hands to extract as much of the flavorful liquid as possible. Discard the hazelnuts. Add the milk to the carob mixture and cook over medium heat to warm.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour a ladle-full of the warm hazelnut and carob mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan with the rest of the hazelnut mixture
6. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden or heatproof plastic spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla and stir until cool over an ice bath.
7. Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
8. Serve immediately for a soft, smooth gelato. Place gelato in a container and freeze for a firmer gelato.
***Note-to toast hazelnuts-place hazelnuts in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes. Stir once while roasting. Remove from oven and let cool and then remove skins.

9 comments:

  1. I HAVE to do this!!! *bookmarks page*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I don't know what I would do if I was allergic to caffeine... I feel for ya! Good luck with your move! ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing!!!

    sincerelysk.blogspot.com
    SK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice blog. I am following you now. Please drop by to Carole's Chatter and check it out. You might like my Food on Friday series which focuses on a different ingredient. This week it was Berries and Currants. If you like my blog it would be great if you followed me back. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe! I'll make it for sure :D
    Hope you'll visit my blog and tell me what you think!

    xoxo
    http://follementefashion.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  6. allergic to caffeine!?? that is tragic!! how exciting that you are moving though, good luck!

    -Jessica
    http://www.jumpintopuddles.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM as soon as I read that this recipe tastes like Nutella you won me over! :D Thanks for sharing, once it's summer where I live I'll totally give this recipe a go <3

    Pop by and visit my blog Taken By Surprise! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post! :)

    I'd love if you visited my blog at Missingsparkles.com. It would be fun to follow each other, don't you think? ;)

    xoxo, Minna

    Blogger
    Bloglovin
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)