Monday, February 24, 2014

Homemade Whipped Body Butter



Lately I’ve been trying to be a bit more conscious about what I put into and onto my body, and that means reading lots of labels! It can get really confusing, especially when I have no idea what most of the ingredients are or what they do. So instead of fussing over the meaning of “carbomethylmetalloformadehyate 15” (yes, I made that up…) I’ve decided to try to make a few of my own beauty products from simple, natural ingredients and see how it goes!

I’m very excited to be sharing this recipe for Homemade Whipped Body Butter with you! This is the most perfect, delectable treat for winter whipped skin. It is unlike a typical body butter because it melts right on to your skin with your body heat – it feels a little greasy at first, but then your parched and leathery hide will start to drink it right up and all you’ll be left with is even-toned, baby-soft skin! The chocolaty smell of this stuff is also so addictive. I love putting it on after a bath and right before bed, so that I slide into the sheets feeling like a soft, buttered up little cupcake!

Ingredient Breakdown:

Cocoa Butter comes from the cocoa bean, and (surprise, surprise) smells deliciously chocolaty. It is a rich emollient and leaves your skin super soft. It contains lots of nice fatty acids which help to retain moisture and build up the elasticity of your skin. Cocoa butter also has properties which can help ease dermatitis or rashes.

Coconut Oil has antioxidant properties that protect the skin from free radical damage. It is also chock full of fatty acids, which help build and strengthen your skin-cell structures, keeping the skin’s connective tissues strong and supple (which helps to prevent sagging and wrinkles!) It absorbs really nicely into the skin too.

Sweet Almond Oil is a wonderful emollient that will smooth and soften your skin. It is also rich in vitamins and is more easily absorbed into the skin than some other oils.



Ingredients:
100g cocoa butter
100g coconut oil
50g sweet almond oil

Method:

1. Weigh out the three ingredients in a small, heatproof bowl (you may need to chop up your cocoa butter first, if it came in one big lump)



2. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir until all the solids are completely melted.



3. Once melted, place the bowl in the fridge or freezer to solidify again. You don’t want it to be completely rock hard – you should still be able to make an indent with your finger if you press into the mixture.



4. Whip the mixture with a handheld or stand mixer until fluffy, glossy, and ivory in colour.



5. Transfer to an airtight container and enjoy! 



Tips:
  • If you overwhip your body butter, it may start to liquefy again – don’t worry! Just stick it back in the freezer to harden up and try again – this stuff is very forgiving.
  • You should be able to store your body butter for a good while without it going rancid, since all of the ingredients have a long shelf life. However, use your common sense and chuck it if it starts to smell or look funny!
  • If you keep your house on the warmer side, your body butter may start to liquefy or separate in the container – if this happens, just re-whip it and store it in a cooler spot, like the fridge.
  • Add in a few drops of your favourite essential oils to create your own unique scent! I imagine the natural essence of the cocoa butter would pair really well with lavender, orange, or peppermint essential oils!
  • This stuff also works amazingly well as a shaving cream!

10 comments:

  1. This is fantastic. I am SO excited to try this! It is so simple and healthy, what a fantastic combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am a new blogger. You have got very cool ideas and you are amazing. I love your blog Check out my blog too http://reginess.blogspot.ru/ ✰

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Love your blog, think I'm going to spend a fair bit of time going browsing through all of your projects!

    X
    Molly
    thecottagediaries.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't find sweet almond oil just regular almond oil. Is that ok to use in this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! It seems the two have the same properties.. I'm not really sure if there is a difference between them at all!

      Delete
  5. I'm 67 years of age and just starting to make my own crémes (-: but better late than never.I made a nice creme for my husbands ecsema and after two weeks there are no signs of the ecsema to be found on his face and head!!!Greatings from Ria out of the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get your cocoa butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my cocoa butter from a health food store called Nature's Fare. It comes in a big brick or in little chips.

      Delete
  7. I just made this and it is REALLY greasy! Is that how it's supposed to be, or did I do something wrong? It smells wonderful though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina,

      It is definitely a lot greasier than a typical lotion, so you probably made it correctly! The oils really melt with your body heat, and it stays greasy for a little while, but I find that if I really rub it in and don't get dressed for a while, it'll soak right in and the greasy feeling will dissipate. It's not a great hand lotion because it takes a little while to absorb and you can't really do anything until it does, but I love it on my legs and arms, especially before bed!

      If you find it to be too greasy for an everyday lotion, you can also use it as a shave cream in the shower, or as an intensive foot moisturizer with cotton socks over top while you sleep!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)