DIY Upcycled Filing Cabinet


Here’s a DIY that will turn a rusty, dusty, and dented filing cabinet into something pretty for your home! I think it’s the perfect place to store all of your craft supplies.  I bought my junky, old filing cabinet from a garage sale for $20, and with a little tweaking, it's become a really wicked piece of functional furniture!

You’ll need: A filing cabinet (garage sale time!!), spray paint (or regular paint), scrapbook paper (or anything decorative), Modpodge, scissors



1: Grab your filing cabinet and your spray paint and head to place where things can get messy!  


2: Remove the handles and label-holders from the cabinet. You’ll have to take off the inner panel of the front of each drawer, and then they’ll come off easily. Lay them out and paint them.  


3: Prime your cabinet – you might not have to do this, depending on what colour your filing cabinet is, and what colour you want it to be. I chose a pale yellow, so I sprayed it with a white paint first to make sure the colour showed up well. 
4: Paint on the final colour. This took two cans of spray paint for me. You can also use regular house paint with a roller.  

5: measure your paper and cut it to fit the front of the cabinet. You’ll probably need to use two sheets per drawer.  

6: Apply a generous coating of Modpodge to the front of the drawer.  

7: Place the paper down and smooth out any wrinkles. 

8: Apply another generous coating of Modpodge on top of the paper. You can use a brush, but I found it easier to just smear it around with my hands!  

9: Let it dry, put the hardware back on, and Voila!

 Enjoy your awesome upcycled filing cabinet!! xoxo

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Grab 16,000 woodworking plans here (Open Now)

      I just got this and love it, you've got to have a look..

      Get access to 16,000 woodworking plans >> ==> All the woodworking tools you will need

      You can get instant access to over *16,000* woodworking projects in the next 5 minutes or less..

      You got to check out Ted's video now: Step -by-step instructions how to start your project

      TedsWoodworking has over 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP-BY- STEP instructions, photos and diagrams to make every project laughably easy...

      Click here to take a look at his plans ===> The necessary materials for that particular project

      Secure your place before it's too late.

      Note: $79 Savings For 72 Hours Only

      Ted is running a time limited "launch discount" and the complete package of plans is 50% off the regular price

      Grab your discount while it lasts... The necessary materials for that particular project

      Don't miss out on this - 72 hours only!

      Have a great day and talk soon.
      Ana

      P.S: Ted's collection of plans are some of the best I've seen. If you're a woodworker, you really don't want miss out on this great deal. 16,000 woodworking plans inside...(2 days left)


      Delete
  2. This adorable, and makes me long for a filing cabinet!!
    Thanks for sharing!

    sincerelypeachy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are beautiful!! thanks for the idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This came out gorgeous! Very cute! Such a great idea! xx The Golden Girls

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this! would you like to follow each other? let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Im Fran, a spanish male fashion bloggger.Maybe you like my style and want to follow me

    http://showroomdegarde.blogspot.com.es/2012/11/fran-and-his-lovely-cardigan.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey you´ve a wonderful blog :)
    Please check out mine
    If you want we can follow each other .
    Let me know!
    And on Lookbook and Bloglovin also
    xoxo
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your blog and love it. :)

    New follower!

    ♥, Sarah
    The Life of a Redhead

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an awesome idea!! I don't have filing cabinet, but if I ever get one for my home office, I'm definitely glamming it up like this with some cute prints! <3

    Pop by and visit my blog Taken By Surprise! xx

    Enter my international giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. seriously LOVE this! the feathers are so pretty!! :) definitely pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! I just started going back through my followers and I saw that you were one and so I made my way here. Let me just say that I am in love with your blog and you have a new follower in me! This project is especially great. I love the way it turned out :) Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see more from you :)

    Kelsey @ aprilsprinkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! Following via Bloglovin' <3 Alex

    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4239571/into-the-woods

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)

Popular Posts