Hot Apple and Cranberry Smoothie

We woke up to a fresh layer of snow on the ground this morning and our little old house was like an icebox! I tiptoed around turning ancient heaters up to maximum, starting up the fireplace, and wrapping myself in a few solid layers, but I still needed something to get the chill out of my bones. I'm a big smoothie person in the mornings, but when it's this cold I just can't bring myself to fill my belly with an icy breakfast. So I came up with a recipe for a hot smoothie! This one is made with sweet apples, dried cranberries, walnuts, and all the wonderful spices of winter. Cuddling up on the couch and sipping on this hot, sweet breakfast treat is just what the doctor ordered for a frozen morning like this one!



Ingredients: 

- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 2-4 tbsp dried cranberries (depending on how sweet you like it!)
- 1 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup water or milk

Optional add-ins:

- Hemp hearts
- Flax seed
- Coconut oil
- Spinach

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Simmer about 5 minutes, or until apples begin to soften. Transfer the hot mixture to a blender*, or use an immersion blender to purée until smooth. Thin out with a little more water (or milk, or eggnog!) if desired, and sweeten with honey to taste!

Enjoy!



*Note: always be very careful when placing a hot mixture in a blender, and be sure to cool the mixture to room temperature if your blender jar is made of glass! Apparently they can explode!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking a moment to share your thoughts! Reading your comments makes me jolly :)

Popular Posts